Sunday, August 02, 2009

Hong Kong/Macau Holiday with BFFs!!! (Hong Kong)

Was down with fever the night before I'm supposed to go Hong Kong. Was so damn worried that I will not be able to make it for the trip!! The fever started in the late afternoon, so I went to see a doctor, then started taking paracetamol.. By night, I've already taken 6!!! Worst is the next day when I woke up, I was still running a fever or 38.5deg!!! I was reali panicky, so I covered myself with thick warm blanket to make myself perspire then awhile later go for cold shower... Did that twice and at the same time took paracetamol at a 2-hr interval... Finally, my fever subsided to 37.5deg and I was on my way to the office to clear abit of my stuff before heading down to the airport to meet my friend... By then, I have already taken another 6 paracetamol and my boss advised me to take another 2 on board, 1hr before I reach Hong Kong... And you know cos of the H1N1 thing, we were all supposed to complete a health declaration form.. As I was still having flu and cough, I decided that I would declare that I am having cough (trying to be abit honest), which was a very stupid thing that I did... So when we reached Hong Kong airport, as I had made a declaration on the form, I was being brought to their "health-check centre" and my temperature was taken.. Thank goodness my temperature was only 36.9deg so when I was questioned, I declared that I DO NOT have fever and so I was released... *Phew*

17-19 July 2009 Hong Kong

Many photos in this posting too!!! ;p We took the afternoon flight, so by the time we reach Hong Kong airport and checked out, already 8+... Then reached hotel at almost 10pm.....

Bought the ticket to take the airport express to Kowloon.. Much faster than taking a cab and slightly cheaper too.... Not many ppl taking the train thou'....
He is trying to figure out how to use the Hong Kong pre-paid card call-forwarding function. He has bought prior to even reaching Hong Kong... I bought a HKD150 pre-paid card at a 7-11 near our hotel...
Alighted from Kowloon station and got on the complimentary bus ride to Jordon, where Prudential Hotel is at... Even lesser ppl taking the bus... There were only 3 of us!!! It was hell of a bus ride!!! It was like 'mini-bus-initial-D'.... I was almost holding on for my dear life!!! Now I know why most ppl didn't choose to take the bus.... yes??? no???

Anyway, saw this damn interesting sign on the bus "IT IS AN OFFENCE IN LAW FOR A PASSENGER TO TALK TO A DRIVER".... I was fascinated by this signage!!! Weird isn't it??? By the time we finally reached the hotel to meet with Jolene, it was already close to 10pm.... So we immediately settle down and went out to a nearby 茶餐厅 for our dinner/supper... Robot ordered roast meat rice set, me & jolene ordered wanton mee.... Not nice at all... Even the drinks wasn't nice!!! Disappointed.... From the photo, the wantan mee looks very nice... But the taste, not nice! As it was already rather late, nothing much we could do,so we headed down to Ladies Nght Market for a walk...... By the it was almost 11 and most stalls were already starting to wrap up for the day.... Walked a little while more and pass by this stall that sells the 'famous HK smelly beancurd'!!! They decided to buy 1 piece each but I DO NOT want to eat it! The smell is oredi enough to turn u totally off!!! But Jolene insisted that I have to try then I'll know it's tasty (she likes it).. I forcefully took a bite and boy, I swear I almost wanna puke!!! Luckily I took a super small bite only... I quickly swallowed and luckily our bubble milk tea was ready sow I down alot of the tea to 'wash away' the horrible taste in my mouth!!!!! DUH!!! It is confirmed, I will NEVER like smelly beancurd, no matter what!!!! Headed back to hotel to get ready for 'second round' activity.... to Lan Kwai Fong (LKF).... Met up with colleague Shireen who was also in Hong Kong with her friend for holiday, but she was in HK since Wed!!!

Didn't bring along camera, didn't bring along my iPhone but my Hello Kitty phone, thus, this is the best I can get.... LKF is a whole stretch of sloped path all the way down, with bars/pubs along both sides path... Went to meet up the rest of Robot's friend and met up with Clarice + her friend... In the end, we settled with Robot's friend in a quieter bar and had a drink each (some of them were actually having coffee???)... Me & Shireen felt soooo bored.... So we decided to go take a walk, Robot joined us and we bumped into Clarice, who was in another club with her friends... They then brought us into this underground club, where it was so happening and crowded... I was told that the cover charge for that club is like SGD50 each, with no drinks included!! Luckily Clarice's friend brought us into the club, foc... ;p Didn't drink much, whole nite only drank like 3 bottles of beer??? Boring.... So we left the club with Robot and head back to Jordon for supper and back to hotel... ZzzZZZz....
Woke up, washed up, dress up and off we go to search for nice Dim Sum for brunch!!! We decided to go to Mongkok, cos I remembered the last time I came in 2007 with my family, we had nice (but rather ex) Dim Sum at this restaurant along Mongkok... But the problem is, I dunno exactly where it was!! So we decided to just walk around and see what we can find... But after walking for almost 40mins and still no Dim Sum place in sight + we were super hungry already, we decided to ask around.. I went up to this jewellery shop sales staff & ask if he knows any Dim Sum restaurant nearby & thank goodness, he told us that the building opposite the street have a nice Dim Sum restaurant!!! So we practically dash through the underpass to the opposite building & finally, we found a restaurant and it's those typical ones in Hong Kong where there'll be a staff at the ground floor as 'conceige', then direct us to take the lift to the restaurant itself... Service was so-so, but the manager was rather friendly... The food has arrived!!!!! That mini fried beancurd cubes are so superlicious!!! Nice!!! The char siew bao was so-so, but the custard bao was quite nice... But then, I still think I prefer the custard bao I had at The Cathay restaurant, S'pore.... Hmmm....
Tasty Egg Tarts!!!! But actually, the egg tarts that I have in the Cantonese restaurant in Ho Chi Minh taste much better... So it doesn't mean that only Cantonese country can produce superlicious Dim Sum!!!
Went to Langham Place (this is where I spent alot buying the SKII products from the Departmental store! Oh well, at least I think that's alot of $$ spent...) to shop around and saw this really really long escalator!!! And check out the people aking the escalators!!! Didn't really have the time, so we never took the escalator up to check out what's upstairs... Went on to another shopping mall, Agrlye Ctr aka New Town Ctr & met up with Clarice... That shopping mall is some sort like our Far East or Bugis, but much more crowded!!! And congested with so many small shops (abit like Bkk's Platinum mall)... Walked until we blur... So we shopped for about an hour plus, then decided to head back to hotel to get a rest then head down to The Peak... Group photo in our hotel room before we head out... Set self-timer! Robot took this for us... We insisted he take it from the 'top' so that we don't look too fat.... LOL
Another one at the Wardrobe full length mirror before we left! The convenience of staying at Prudential Hotel... It's linked to a shopping mall, that links to the Jordon MTR at the basement! Jolene didn't bother to tell me my fringe was so messy!!! It started raining out there while we were taking the train and this group of Korean gals board the train with these Armani carriers... Such a great idea to protect the carrier from being drenched by the rain!!! So creative isn't it??? But we were wondering if it was the store's idea, or the Korean babes' idea??? Whatever it is, I think we should implement it here too, since we do have lotsa rainy days here......
We were checking out the map to try to find the right exit and direction to walk to H&M store... This picture was taken by Jolene... Notice the guy in shades, standing at the corner.... Check out the next pic...
There he was! That guy in shades, he was still standing beside me while I was pointing here and there on the map... And this picture was taken by Clarice!!! We saw him at the excalator again later!! "Stalker" LOL
Walked from the Central MTR station for about 10min and we finally found H&M Flag store!!! It has 2 storeys!!!!
Finally, after shopping at H&M for abt 2hrs, we settled down at nearby 'Cui Hua' restaurant for dinner!! So famished!!! We had initially planned to go The Peak after we shopped but we decided not to as it had been drizzling earlier and reports of possible typhoon later in the night...
Check out the cups the restaurant uses!! So cute right!!! Food Food!!!! Not too bad, we have 'gong zai' noodles with luncheon meat & sunny side-up... Plus pork buns to share!!! The food's rather nice and not too expensive!!! Yummy!!!
'Yong Ji', the very famous roast meat restaurant is just opposite the street! My boss always say, the food there is very very nice and wanted to bring our division gals there for dinner at this time, cos my Company trip was supposed to be on the same dates that I am here now!!!! Too bad, due to some incompetent in-charge for this year's Company events, the whole Company trip was cancelled in the end!!!! Argghhhh!!!! Dinner's over, heading back to hotel for a rest... Check out the H&M carriers... We had only a carrier of stuffs each... Actually, not really that much things we found suitable to buy... think Jolene only bought a bag, think Clarice bought a top and some accesories... I bought the most, but still not much, a cardi, 2 tops, 2 mens' polo tee & a men's casual tee... Jolene & me had went to the H&M at Langham Place earlier, where already bought 2 dresses, while I bought some accessories only...Our activity for the night.... Was supposed to meet ex-colleague at Tuen Mun for drinks but due to the reports of hitting typhoon no,9, I decided to stick with Jolene and wait for her HK drummer friend to pick us up for dessert & Karaoke session!!! Picked us at hotel ard 10+ & drove all the way to Kowloon City for dessert, then quickly hit the nearby mall with a KTV that opens till late.... Jolene, Drummer & Drummer's gal... She sings so well (both Cantonese & Chinese songs), I swear she's anytime better than any of our Project Superstar/S'pore Idol contestants, anytime!!! And she also loves Tanya Chua + Sun Yanzi + JJ Lin, all Singaporean singers!! These 3 are our Singapore music industry proud & joy!Got abit bo liao, so decided to take the lift down to check out how Typhoon no.9 is like!
First time, in my 3 times visiting Hong Kong, that I encountered Typhoon, and it's no.9 some more!!! Wooo!!!
It was around 2am when we came out to take a look at how Typhoon No. 9 was... But well, it seems that it's just heavy rain and on & off strong wind.... See cranky Jolene posing for the photo... Her hair ain't even moving, shows the wind wasn't that strong??? Perhaps the 'typhoon action' started around 12mn till 1+am???
At Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry Terminal.. Bought the 130pm ferry ticket at HKD140.. Super hungry so went to Mac for our meal!! So damn hapi that they have this pork burger!!! Super nice!!! Too bad we dun get this in S'pore.. The other 2 countries I ate Mac pork burger are Japan & Bangkok.... And they have this Hello Kitty toy that we can actually purchase, so long as a meal is purchased! Not like in S'pore, where the other I tried to pay extra to buy the Hello Kitty toy but was downright rejected and was told that I can only get the toy for free when I buy a kid's happy meal... WTH!!!!! -_-

Hong Kong.... I will be back again... But the next time if I wanna go Hong Kong, I will only choose year-end where it's much much much cooler (Nov-Feb) and we can really dress up!! Thou' luggage would be heavier cos gotta bring thicker clothes! ;p

Oh ya, one last thing, throughout our whole trip (at both HK & Macau), we were asked at least 100 times (ya, i exaggerated, it's only abt 10times bah...) whether are we Taiwanese and sometimes we were asked if we were Malaysians.. Cos most of the times, we were speaking Mandarin (but not like those China-Mandarin) or Cantonese (not so HK-Cantonese)... Well, to them, Singaporeans only speak English... -_-" Oh and this is not the first time I'm hearing such comments anyways... In my 2007 Hong Kong trip where I met up with my ex-colleague & her friends, they also mentioned that they thought Singaporeans only speak English and they were quite surprise, i eamn really suprise, that I can speak mandarin & cantonese quite well!!! Heee... Misconceptions.... LOL

6 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, August 06, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i rem gg to hkg 2 yrs back n also tio the typhoon no 9 lor. only can do indoor shoppin n watchin drama in htl. oh ya n buffet at htl!

and yes i luv Agrlye Ctr !!

~littlemscheeky

 
At 1:29 AM, August 06, 2009 , Blogger Tamster-TaMy said...

I went in Nov'07 and May'08, din even encouter rain lor!!! Hahaha...
Anyway, this is the first time I knew about Agrlye Centre wor!! But too many shops, like that BKK Platinum mall... walk until a got abit 'giddy'... Hahaha... anyway, only bought 2 sandals & 1 blouse there....

 
At 1:55 AM, August 06, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

Haha so nice! I'm gonna study soon in HK...you're making me more excited about it =)

Nang me: http://innit.nuffnang.com/redirect.php?id=115693

 
At 11:52 AM, August 06, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i went during national day period in 07. i think we shd avoid jul/aug la. it's supp to be their "summer" yet got typhoon!

i bot quite lot of things fr Agrlye Ctr ley. =x

 
At 5:33 PM, August 06, 2009 , Blogger Tamster-TaMy said...

Tamy-PoisonKagero:
Wow! It must be really fun to able to study in HK!! You will really love the place (minus the hot, humid summer & typhoon season)... All the best to your studies!!! cheers!! ;p

 
At 6:02 PM, August 06, 2009 , Blogger Tamster-TaMy said...

Tamy-littlemscheeky:
maybe there were too many shops and too many ppl, i walk until i feel so blur and tired.... so didn't buy much... but at least the only cardi-like blouse i bought is very nice... i love it so much cos it seems so 'original'.. i mean, it's like i dun reali see ppl in S'pore wearing... hee ;p

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home